What are Nevi and Melanoma?
Nevi and melanomas are a group of Neoplasia.
Although a nevus and a melanoma are often treated as independent entities, there is evidence that a nevus can be a precursor for a melanoma
Common mutations have been identified in nevi and melanomas
Moles are common. Almost every adult has a few moles. Adults who have light skin often have more moles. They may have 10 to 40 moles on their skin. This is normal.
You should not be overly worried about your moles. But you should know:
- A type of skin cancer, melanoma, can grow in or near a mole.
- Caught early and treated, melanoma can be cured.
- The first sign of melanoma is often a change to a mole — or a new mole on your skin.
- Checking your skin once a month — or more often if your doctor says — can help you find melanoma early.
- If a mole starts to grow, itch, or bleed, make an appointment to see your surgeon or dermatologist